Sunday, July 27, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love - Restoration Central



I have been reading Elizabeth Gilbert's most recent book, Eat, Pray, Love and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I was skeptical. Eat, yes! Pray, no and Love?.... come on... how corny. But, I was silly to think that way. I haven't been able to put the book down and when I go to work, I agonize over what might happen next and when I am actually reading it, it makes me think that I need to take a year off and do exactly what she did. Learn Italian, pray in an Ashram and find balance in Bali.

The book is about a woman restoring herself, by herself and considering the few years I have had, I need and have been trying to do that. Surprisingly, that is what me getting my Ph.D is all about. Doing what I have always wanted to do, because it suits me. Only to find out that getting a Ph.D is stressful, not restorative.

On another note, and one that is convincing me even more that I need to continue on my path of restoration, I found old pictures of me from 2004 and 2005. I hate to say it, but man, I was good-looking. From sickness, depression, arguing and stress, I have turned into a sour, cuban puff ball. I have decided enough is enough. A friend of mine and myself are now training for a 5k and I am hoping this will reduce my sickliness, depression, stress and energy to argue. Monique ran a 10k, and it really inspired me to get back into the game. I have to admit I am bored in NC. so very bored. And boredom in an aries is not a good match. Just like leaving Lollipop in a room all to herself is not a good idea.

No comments: