A big dream of mine would be to go to a BIG film festival...... I have been to Miami's Film Festival and each time I was always impressed... but I want to go to ones that take over the city.... etc.... Cannes, Sundance would both be amazing. San Sebastian would be fabulous. Maybe one day...
Here is an article from the New York Times about Sundance this year:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/movies/03sundance.html
In other news, I watched "Fidel" today and I enjoyed it.... I didn't like how it made Fidel look like a HERO and Miami Cubans look like flagrant, misled idiots.... but I did like some of the historical moments it covered and the footage of those moments. I am beginning to disrespect more and more the opinions of all-Americans and outsiders on the subject of Cuba. In fact, to some extent, I respect Fidel's opinions of Cuba more than some of the opinions held by Americans in this film. For example, Sydney Pollack comments on Cuba and his views of Fidel.... Alice Walker (author of the Color Purple.... a book I love....) speaks about Castro.... and I just kept thinking, "why do their opinions matter? They have no stake in the matter..... people who only know little to nothing about Cuba and yet we use them as experts? We value THEIR opinions?" Excuse me, but fuck that. I will listen to Mr. Pollack about film making and acting... but Fidel, fuck no. Alice Walker can lecture me on being black in America..... about writing.... about literature..... but the importance of Fidel? About the history of Cuba? FUUUUCK that. Harry Belafonte was also part of this expertise entourage.... I almost laughed out loud.... ridiculous really. So you sang in Cuba, Harry.... thank you for your opinions...... did you become part of the revolutionary fighting or struggle through the 80s and 90s in Cuba.... and on the opposite side of the spectrum, did you lose everything and have to start a new life in America or whereever you ended up? Did you lose property, a life and lifestyle, did you lose family members, etc? Oh, you didn't Harry? Ok, well then, shut the fuck up..... who gives a shit what you think. I definitely don't. Let Cubans figure out their own politics. Cubans and Cuban-Americans. Americans and foreigners have no stake and therefore no claim or need to feel "responsible" nor "helpful" in curing the "ills" of Cuba. American colonialism through moralism.... once a-fucking-gain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment